Tuesday, November 13, 2007

To Worry or Not To Worry....

This past weekend at NorthStar Mike spoke about worry and asked us to list the things we worry about. Those lists were brought to the front of the room and left there for us as staff to pray over. I have looked at many of those and most of them are not really surprising (they are the same things I worry about).

I don't want to diminish or disregard the reality of the feelings associated with the issues that people wrote on those cards. I realize they are real feelings that carry a lot of weight and burden for these people. However, I would like to turn it around a little.

Many cards listed someone as worrying about having to work at a job they didn't like (I have been there). Many listed worrying about future health issues, finances, etc... These are all very real issues that we all deal with at some point on some level. But, doesn't God say who among you can add even a day to his life by worrying? I know it has never helped me.

Let me propose that we focus on the opposite. We thank God for the health we have rather than worrying about getting cancer. We thank God for the job we have rather than worrying about it being bad. We thank God for the money He has blessed us with rather than worrying about not having enough. We thank God for our families rather than worrying about their future. We thank God for our country rather than complaining about its direction. We thank God for His salvation rather than worrying about dying.

Rather than being too worried to be thankful, it is time we are too thankful to be worried!!



You can hear Mike Linch's message on worry @ northstarchurch.org

This week Mike will share with us about PAUSING to be thankful. I hope to see you there.

No comments: