Monday, November 19, 2007

Helping others!

I just saw an article on Yahoo about food pantries seeing a rise in working people needing help with food. One of the people they interviewed said that she makes $9 per hour working full time, has no insurance and sometimes there just isn't enough to make ends meet. So she goes to the local food pantry for a little help. I have been guilty of making all kinds of judgments about people like this lady and many others. After all, the Bible says that if a man does not work neither should he eat. I have applied this to a lot of people.

I have finally learned that the Bible was written for me to apply to me not for me to apply to others. You know what this means. When God says if you don't work you won't eat He is talking to me. He also says over and over that I should help the poor. My thought has been if they aren't working they shouldn't be eating. But God has shown me that He makes those decisions not me.

In Crown, we talk about there being two parts to living (God's part and our part). My problem is that I want to do God's part and ignore my part. I find it easier to decide when someone should receive help and when they shouldn't rather than just giving when God asks me to give.

I guess what I really want to say is that we are called to help others. We are not called to help everyone but we are called to help someone. God will show you who that someone is if you will ask Him.

Our part is to help, His part is to deal with the results of that help. I hope you will join me and my family as we JUST help others and not worry about the rest.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment: