Friday, November 16, 2007

Christian Business?

Yesterday, a friend of mine invited me to lunch. He wanted to talk about his business and how you really turn it over to God. Great question. It is very easy to say "God, this is your business" it is not easy to really turn it over. I am sure my comments to him were virtually useless but I have found something I think is very helpful for this and any other thing you want to turn over to God.

I have mentioned before about John Ortberg's book, "When the game is over it all goes back in the box." Last night I found a great quote I want to share with you guys.

"Jesus' idea was that when someone began to follow him, that person would become good news to everybody in the neighborhood, at the office, or in the school. His followers would become more generous and more truthful and would be a blessing to all peoples as God had promised Abraham."

So that is how you know that your organization (or yourself for that matter) is following Jesus. I told my friend that the hard thing about turning your business over to God is that once you have done it you still have to run the business. You have to decide what happens and doesn't happen. It doesn't get easier because you turn it over. In some ways it gets harder because you can't do things the way everyone else does.

Anyway, if you have an organization (business, sports team, weight watchers, whatever) that you want to turn over, commit it to God and then make the decisions that will allow it to be good news and a blessing to everyone who comes in contact with it.

I believe that God will then allow it to be a blessing to you and your family.

No comments: