Tuesday, October 23, 2007

You Are Getting Very Sleeeeeepy!

Have you ever noticed yourself acting in an irrational or over emotional manner? Oh, Okay. Have you ever noticed your spouse or a co-worker acting in an irrational or over emotional manner? Ahhhhh, me too! So what is up with these people. I mean you ask a simple question about getting 2 months off or a 14.257% raise or a personal assistant to do your work for you and they just go off all crazy and stuff.

Well, as it turns out, there is a reason for this madness. Apparently scientists have found that sleep deprivation causes us to overreact emotionally. This is probably not a surprise to you as it was not to me. But having scientific studies behind it helps us to focus on it more I suppose. The following was stated in the article referenced below: "While we predicted that the emotional centers of the brain would overreact after sleep deprivation, we didn't predict they'd overreact as much as they did," Walker said. "They became more than 60 percent more reactive to negative emotional stimuli. That's a whopping increase—the emotional parts of the brain just seem to run amok." It is traced to a "hyperactive response to a shutdown of the prefrontal lobe, a brain region that normally keeps emotions under control" Okay, shake your head and refocus your eyes and I will explain it to you. When you don't sleep part of your brain shuts down and apparently it is the part that keeps your foot out of your mouth.

For me this was not earth shattering information. However, I do need to be reminded that God created sleep for a reason. Not just to have something to do in a chair or pew on Sunday mornings but to re energize and re build me as the whole person He created. I suppose I should turn the TV off the cage fighting, football, baseball and 2 man beach volleyball and allow God to refresh my body and brain. I hope you do as well, it may make the drive to work less painful.

Good night.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20071022/sc_livescience/
emotionsrunamokinsleepdeprivedbrains

No comments: