Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Bad Shot, Wrong Focus!

Some of the guys in the office and some guys we met at the YMCA hook up to play basketball about 3 mornings each week. Sometimes, its 1-0n-1, sometimes 2-0n-2, 3-on-3, 2-on-3 or whatever. It is a lot of fun, a huge challenge and gives some much needed exercise. I am not a good player but I love to play and accept the challenge of whoever I am facing. Sometimes it works out good other times not so good.

Today was a not so good day. Steve Roach and I played today and he won 3 games to 2. I know what you are thinking, how in the world did he beat you 3 times in one morning. I want to say the referee was terrible but there wasn't one, besides that he usually doesn't get close enough to foul me. I will leave you to figure out what that means.

Anyway, my shot was not good at all today. Normally, I am not very good but today was exceptionally bad. In the last game, I actually caught myself keeping up with my shots. I was 0 for 9 before I thought why on earth am I focusing so much on what I have missed. Yes, I actually thought about this while we were playing. When I stopped focusing on my 0% shooting percentage to that point, I actually came back and won that game.

This reminded me that if I focus on the bad things, mistakes and air-balls in my life, I will never hear the "string music" that a great shot makes.

I pray that you will refocus your thoughts on the provision, gifts and love God has put in your life. May you attack whatever your opponent is with a positive attitude, all your effort and God's strength. I know Steve will find it tought to beat me like that again!

No comments: