Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Game

Today, we are hosting a 1 hour talk by John Ortberg based on his book called "When the Game is over it all goes back in the box." The basic premise of the book is that no matter how well we do financially here on earth we can not take it with us. We leave all of it here.

I believe that by now everyone has heard a million times the phrase, " I have never seen a hearse pulling a U-haul." The fact that it is a true statement does not make it any less tired by the way. Obviously, it is true that we will take nothing with us, however, we still have to play the GAME. I mean I still have to eat, pay the light bill, drive, have a place to sleep, etc...

So knowing that when the game is over it all goes back in the box and knowing that I still have to play the game what should be my goal. I mean what is the point in playing if I know the result already (I can't keep it)?

Here is God's "secret". THE GAME ITSELF (not the result) IS THE POINT!!

How we play the game is of concern to God. In week 2 of Crown we talk about what is God's part. Week 3-10 are all about what our part is. In short, it is to be faithful with what He gives (His part) us, but of course there is much more to it than that. In Luke 16:11 Jesus says, "If you have not been faithful in the use of worldly wealth, who will entrust the true riches to you." How you play the Game determines what kind of riches you are ultimately entrusted with. I am really striving to play this game well. I want him to trust me with TRUE RICHES.

In Monopoly, you win by ending the game. In God's game you win by playing the game His way.

No comments: