Monday, October 8, 2007

Fear vs Freedom

Isn't the internet great. With just the touch of the keyboard you can find all kinds of stuff. Well I have found some very interesting info for you today. Have you ever wondered what your chances of winning the lottery are? Come on, you can be honest. Me too. I don't know about you but my chances are zero. It turns out you have to buy a ticket to win and I ain't spending my money that way. But, that is a topic for another day.

I wonder why we really care about odds. We have statistics for everything. Using these numbers we can create odds. Such as:

Odds of dating a supermodel - 88,000 to 1
Odds of having hemorrhoids - 25 to 1
Odds of dating a millionaire - 215 to 1 ( if she can't be pretty maybe she'll have money)
Odds of being murdered - 18,000 to 1
Odds of being considered possessed by Satan - 7,000 to 1

The good news is you have pretty good odds of dating a millionaire. The bad news is he or she is likely to have hemorrhoids and has a good chance of being possessed by Satan. Good luck to you.

Anyway, odds and statistics have always been very interesting to me. I just find them fascinating. But, we can become so fixated on those things that we accomplish nothing. We can spend WAY to much money trying to win the lottery (13,000,000 to 1) and not be able to provide for our family properly.

I want my life to be about more than odds. I know that if I trust God and try to live according to His plan and turn it all over to Him, the odds don't mean anything. Yes, I can still become a statistic, but in God's eyes I am living by His plan. It gives me freedom to live without fear of what may happen. I believe that is what God intended.

What is stopping you from turning it all over to Him?

PS Now that I know I have better odds of winning an Olympic Medal (662,000 to 1) than drowning in a bathtub (685,000 to 1) I will smell better tomorrow.

No comments: