Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Choice!

Today I started reading 1 Peter 4. I made it half way through verse 1 when God said "did you see that". No I did not hear His voice, it was within my spirit. Another one of those, "you need to know this point" lessons. So now I write. Sorry!

1 Peter 4:1

Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attiude, because those who have suffered in their bodies are done with sin.

So what was the attitude of Christ during the suffering and why do I need it? Yesterday, I wrote about "Power"ful Living and how we are to live as Jesus did with a "power under" mentality (for more info on that refer to the previous post). Here Peter is telling me that I need to arm myself with Christ's attitude. Jesus did suffer in "his body". Physically he suffered tremendously but his attitude was one of great willingness to do and allow God's will in His life. He submitted his physical comfort to the work of God.

I need this attitude of submission of my physical comfort to allow verse 2 to become real.

1 Peter 4:2

As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.

So, when I arm myself with His attitude of submission I end up being done with sin. And only when I am done with sin can I live for the will of God. The only way to live for His will is to give up the things I desire. I am not just speaking of stuff, I must give up how I want people to treat me. It doesn't matter how I am treated, good, bad or indifferent; I must desire God more than I desire someone to treat me well. I have to give up the desire to get my way or be "right". It doesn't matter if I am right or wrong, His will is all that matters.

In the end, I ask why does this really matter? I read further:

1 Peter 4:3

For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do...

No comments: