Thursday, April 23, 2009

False Teachers

2 Peter 2 is a warning to the followers about false teachers that will come. And come they will. Why is that? Why do people want to join in on a growing, hot, energetic entity only to distort the message and lead people astray?

Look at this example. It may not be perfect but I think it fits. You borrow some money, buy a home, and pay back with interest. Pretty simple. But enter Mr. whoever, and you have "interest only", a loan that only requires purchasers to pay interest on the borrowed money. This also allows buyers to borrow more money than they would have originally borrowed. But bigger than that, now an entire group of people who couldn't have qualified for other loans can make the interest only payments and now buy homes. I don't want to politicize this post, but it is fairly easy to see how this contributed to where the economy is today. Why did someone change the message of mortgages (and therefore home buying)? Was it to help us?

OK, whether you agree or not with that example is irrelevant, hopefully it illustrates what I am getting at. We could all come up with examples of how something good has been distorted by a change in wording 0r description. But again, why would this be done?

Verse 3a:

"In their greed, these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories."

The root cause of sin is me. I want what I want and I want it now. I will use most any means to get it. I will confuse people with double talk and half truths to get them to "believe". I will change little by little until I have led people miles from where they should be headed.

You have heard put a frog in boiling water and he will jump out, but put him in cold water and turn on the heat and he will boil to death. The same is true for us. We don't notice small changes.

The problem with man is and will always be man. I am so consumed with myself that I struggle to lead people to the God who has saved me.

Do not believe everything you hear or see. I have said many times, "everyone is selling something." God has given us His Word for learning. He wants to be our ultimate teacher.

No comments: