Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rid Yourself

Today is Communion day at NorthStar. We set aside the entire day for our congregation to come by and partake of communion. It really is a great day!

While I was sitting in the room this morning, I was reading 1 Peter 2. God brought out many things, but I have 2 I will write about today. One of them, I will not post until tomorrow.

Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy and slander of every kind.
1 Peter 2:1

When I read this, it hit me that Peter is telling me to rid myself. I know how we use the word "rid" but I have never looked at the definition. It says the following: "to make free" Interesting, so Peter is saying essentially that I am not "free" from those things.

Sometimes when people tell me things, the first thought I have is "who do you think you are." So I thought, who is he to tell me this. I know that you know who Peter is but just as a reminder. Peter is a tough guy. He is the first to speak up. He is so passionate he acts without thinking. Peter is the guys who jumps out of the boat to walk on water and then says to himself, I can't walk on water. Peter is the guy who pulls a sword and cuts off an ear. Peter is the guy who swears he will not deny but does, three times. Peter is mentally all in but not prepared for the heat. Christ corrects him each time he stumbles. He looks at him when He is denied the third time.

I am much like Peter. I spout off that "I will never." Not thinking how difficult it will be to "never."

Peter says we have to "rid ourselves". You mean I can do that? YES!! I can do that. It is a decision I have to make day-by-day, hour-by-hour and for me moment-by-moment. How? I must abstain from the sinful desires I have.

1 Peter 2:11 says, "Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires."

Abstain: to refrain deliberately and often with an effort of self-denial from an action or practice

I can do it!! You can do it!!

God, prompt me to abstain and rid myself!

No comments: