Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hand me downs?

I was reading 1 Peter this morning and saw something interesting that got me thinking. Read chapter 1:18-19.

"For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect."

The words that I have in bold above really jumped out at me when I read this. I don't know about you but if I am completely honest I was handed an empty way of life. There was really nothing spiritually filling about how I was raised. It was fun at times, it was rewarding at times, but it was in retrospect "empty." Obviously, I survived and I am trying to live a full life through Christ now. I thank God He redeemed me. But, I wonder what kind of life am I handing down to my future ancestors?

Proverbs 22:6 says, "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it."

Wow! I have a lot of responsibility. I want my children to follow a better path than I did when I was young. I want to "hand down" a better way of life to my ancestors. So how do I do this.

Verse 24 says, "For, All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever."

So if I am like grass and my glory is like the flowers, I will wither and fall, and the only thing of value that I have to HAND DOWN is that which endures forever. THE WORD OF THE LORD.

Today, and I pray everyday going forward, I will ask myself, "What of the Lord's Word are you handing down to your ancestry?"

That is a challenge!

I pray that you will have a wonderful Easter weekend, remembering what He did to redeem you.

No comments: