Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Light or Dark

I began reading 1 John today. It starts off by letting us know who Jesus is. Then changes to what Jesus told the disciples. I saw something that was very interesting here.

First of all John says, "God is light; in him there is not darkness at all." (verse 5) He goes on to tell us that we are liars if we claim to have fellowship with Him, yet walk in darkness. That seems a bit harsh, since I am a sinner and will sin so I want to know what the phrase "walk in darkness" (verse 6) means.

In his commentaries, Matthew Henry uses the word practice to explain the meaning here. So to "walk in darkness" could say "to practice darkness." To me, this distinction is important.

Practice: to do or perform often, customarily, or habitually

So if I perform often, customarily or habitually an act of sin I am then walking in darkness and therefore a liar if I say I have fellowship with Him. Why is this distinction important to me as someone who is trying to figure this "walk" out? Keep reading.

Verse 7: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his son, purifies us from all sin."

If I walk (perform often, customarily or habitually) in the light (that is, after Jesus) the blood of Jesus will purify me from all sin. Notice it didn't say I would not sin. That is huge for me. It says His Blood will purify me from the sin. Read verses 8-10 on your own.

What a relief! Not that I don't have to worry about what I do. It does say that if I "walk in the light" I will be purified. I have to walk or practice the ways of Jesus and that is no small task, but I am not expected to be perfect. Which is good news for someone like me.

May you and I WALK in the Light of Christ and be purified by His blood!

No comments: