Thursday, April 16, 2009

To Him be the Glory!

As I continue to read 1 Peter 4, there are many great nuggets but, today verses 8-11 stand out.

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. If you speak , you should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If you serve, you should do so with the strength God provides so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Love each other!
Offer hospitality!
Use whatever gift!

When I read these verses and remember that Peter is writing to "God's elect, exiles scattered throughout..." (1Peter 1:1) I am reminded, he is talking to me. I understand the following:

I am to love each other!
I am to offer hospitality!
I am to use whatever gift!

I know this. I have known it. I try to do these things and at times am reasonably accomplished at doing it. Where I stuggle is:

I am to love each other so that God may be praised!
I am to offer hospitality so that God may be praised!
I am to use whatever gift so that God may be praised!

Honestly, there are many times that I do things so that I may be praised. Just being honest! There are times when I want praise. Now I think that everyone needs to be recognized and praised for doing the right thing and hard work, but I can't have that desire. And I do. Now what?

In verse 7 Peter says, "The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray." Of course, I have a picture of what being unsober is, so I picture sober as the opposite. Well that is not entirely true. So we look at our old friend the dictionary.

Sober: marked by sedate or gravely or earnestly thoughtful character or demeanor; marked by temperance, moderation, or seriousness

So this is what I see. If I am seeking my own glory, I will be upset if I don't get it. After all I used "I" or "my" 4 times just to write that sentence. If I am alert (or using sound judgement as the NIV states) and I am of a sober ,or marked by an earnestly thoughtful character or marked by temperance or seriousness, mind I can allow the "glory" to fall where it belongs rather than wanting in for myself. Actually, when I am sober or thinking clearly in this way, I want the glory to fall on God rather than myself.

1 Peter 4:11b
To Him be the Glory and the Power for ever and ever. Amen

No comments: