Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Power"ful Living

Power is an interesting thing. I looked it up and there are 9 entries for Power. However the one I want to write about is:

possession of control, authority, or influence over others

Generally when we think about power in regards to people, this definition is what we think about. Castro has power and Obama has power they gained the power in different ways, but they have power. My boss has power, my parents have power. The police have power and even the librarian has power (you know you whisper in the library).

I don't usually think about it but I have power as well. And if I am not thinking about it I am probably using it the wrong way at times.

I am reading this book a friend let me borrow, (The Myth of a Christian Nation). I am only a couple of chapters in. The author (who shall remain nameless, because I forgot his name; now that I think about it I could look it up, but so can you, so there is your homework), writes about how power is used either over or under other. It is very enlightening.

When I think about having power over someone, my mind goes to getting them to do what I need done. After all, why have power if you can't gain from it, right? In a "power over" world that is right, but as a Christian I am called to something bigger, something better, something Christlike.

Consider the life of Jesus, He exercised power over evil and things. He ran demons out of people, he multiplied fish and bread, he turned water to wine. But, he exercised power under people. He healed their bodies, he raised them from the dead, he washed their feet, he died for them.

When Jesus was betrayed, he was captured in the garden, Peter drew his sword and cut off an ear. Jesus picked up the ear and healed the man. He exercised power under those who were going to kill Him. His example for us is clear.

So what does this have to do with how we live? I know it is obvious to you at this point, but humor me if you will. For me to live a "powerful" life I must exercise "power under" those that I influence. I must be a servant. I must consider their needs before mine. This is against my nature more than I care to acknowledge.

1 Peter 3 starts off by telling wives to submit then tells husbands to be considerate and then says to all of us in verses 8-9:

"be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit the blessing."

These things can not be done when I am exerting power "over"; I have to use all of my power "under" others, just as Jesus did!

Then and only then will I experience "power"ful living.

No comments: