Monday, March 30, 2009

Which Dog do I Feed Most?

A few days ago, I wrote here about "My Battle", and received a comment? Yes I know, I was suprised. Really, I write here as an outlet for my thoughts and because it really helps me to think through and apply what God shows me. I receive very, very few comments and am not surprised. I assumed that anything I got from my study was probably common knowledge for the average high schooler.

Anyway, I received this comment about "My Battle":

Jamie, my pastor says there are two dogs fighting inside of every man. The one that wins is the one you feed the most. It looks like you are feeding the right one.

I read this and honestly I thought, wow someone is really bored to be reading this. However, I truly appreciate the feedback and it made me think. First of all, this is a great way to explain the concept to people. Obviously, it is memorable. Secondly, his line I have highlighted above is interesting. Immediately my mind went to Romans 12:2.

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind...

The two dogs inside us require food to survive and thrive. It is easy to feed the dog that leads to selfish gains, all I have to do is be myself. However, if I want to feed the dog that leads to being Christlike, I have to "renew my mind."

I don't know about you, but I have thought about this as a daily renewing. I should get up and study and pray. Ask God for strength, courage and protection. The problem for me is that once I have done this I am stronger than ever, until someone does something. I mean, I am pulling out of the driveway and no one lets me out. Someone ate the last waffle or took the last drink of Tea. Honestly, it doesn't take long and I am back to ME.

So, for me this renewing, this trying to have my mind in the right place, takes constant work. I have to always be focused. I have to find a verse that applies. I have to think constantly about God's direction. I have to memorize His Word. I have to surround myself with Godly people who will tell me the truth.

Because, I am either feeding the dog that leads to destructive behavior or the one the leads to loving others.

And love is the fulfillment of the law. Romans 13:10

Thanks for the comment Terry.

No comments: