Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I know that's right!

I don't pretend to know much about God or His word but, today in reading Matthew 6:19-34 I saw something that made me say "I know that's right!" The last sentence in chapter 6 is in RED letters (you know what that means) and it says this, "Each day has enough trouble of its own." All together now, "I know that's right!!"

In these verses, Jesus is trying to get us to take our minds off of the everyday worries that each of us have. What will I eat, drink and wear. Now some of us worry more about what we are going to wear. If you know me, you know that I am more concerned about what I am going to eat than wear. We all have our problems I suppose. Jesus asks us this question in verse 27, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" I don't think he expected an answer, He really wants us to consider this question. We can not accomplish a thing through worry.

I know that we need food, drink and clothing. The great news is that Jesus knows this as well. So in vers 31, He tells us "DO NOT WORRY..." Verse 32 says, "Your heavenly Father knows that you need them..." If you are like me you already know and even believe this is true but it is totally different to live like you believe it.

For those of us who find ourselves wondering what to do. I believe God says He will provide and I believe He can provide but I can not stop worrying about His provision and when it will come. Jesus tells us this in verse 33, "but seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

So if I see God's kingdom and his righteousness, he will provide my needs? That what Jesus said. It seems plain, not a parable, just Jesus teaching in His first sermon. So how do I do this seeking? A great place to start is turn it all over to Him. You can then begin reading what Jesus says about how we should live in Matthew (chapters 5-7). Of course all of God's word, will lead us to seek His kingdom and His righteousness.

I pray that I will seek His kingdom and righteousness in all that I do. I pray that for you as well.

No comments: