Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I am Searching

I was having lunch with a friend yesterday and we were talking about the comment Jesus made about the Narrow and Wide gates. It was an interesting dialogue and as I was reading this morning I stumbled on the verses that Jesus spoke about the gates.

In Matthew 7:13-14, Jesus starts out by saying, "enter through the narrow gate." To that I say, thanks for the info, but the GPS doesn't have it listed could you give me the address please. Because one thing I do know is if that gate exists I want in that gate. Then Jesus says, "but small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." At least I know what it looks like.

I think we can take a couple of points to help us with the gate deal. First, I believe while looking for the gate it doesn't make sense to follow the crowd. Jesus said, "only a few find it." If that is true then following the crowd will only lead me to the WIDE gate (read verse 13 again). I am looking for a small group of people that are going against the grain, headed in a totally different direction than the masses. I believe I will hang out with them.

Second, when I find the gate I will choose it. There are many that see the gate, they gaze at it, maybe even touch it but, they choose to move on.

Read Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Gate:
The gate being so strait and the way so narrow, it is not strange that there are but few that find it, and choose it. Many pass it by, through carelessness; they will not be at the pains to find it; they are well as they are, and see no need to change their way. Others look upon it, but shun it; they like not to be so limited and restrained...

So, how do we travel this path that leads to this gate?

THAT IS WHAT THE ENTIRE BIBLE IS ABOUT!

We should read it.

No comments: