Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Me, Holy?

1 Peter 1:15, "But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do." I know you have heard this a million times just as I have. I know it is there, but because it sounds so lofty, so unattainable I can't imagine how I would "be holy".

So it occurred to me this morning that it may be a good idea to know what the word means. I mean, it is possible that I don't even know what Holy is and therefor I can't know if I am able to attain it. I know what you are thinking, God would not ask us to be something that we can not be. I agree! However, if I can't get my mind wrapped around it I will never be able to be it. So I need to know what it means.

If you are like me, when you hear holy in the context of God and His Word your mind goes to perfection, Jesus, loving always, things I can't be. So I need help.

I went to the old dictionary online and found holy, below are the definitions given:

1: exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness
2
: divine holy — Psalms 99:9(Authorized Version)>
3
: devoted entirely to the deity or the work of the deity

I don't think God is telling us to be exalted or divine, those are His and His alone so the first two are out. Think about number 3. I believe this is what being holy is for us. Devoted entirely to Him and His work. Now what does "devoted" mean. I am glad you asked. Check this out.

1 : to commit by a solemn act <devoted herself to serving God>
2
: to give over or direct (as time, money, or effort) to a cause, enterprise, or activity

I believe we need to apply both of these definitions. First of all, we should commit ourselves to God and His work. Another word is consecrate (set yourself apart). Secondly, we must give over (time, money & effort) to THE cause.

Now before you start throwing rocks at me, I do believe that being Holy involves removing yourself from sin, striving for righteousness, and loving others. I just think that BEING holy involves more than NOT doing something, it is DOING something. It is giving time to reach out to others, giving money to meet needs and giving your talent to make the church body whole.

In short, being holy is giving our time, talent and treasure entirely to the work of God.

Now, that is something I can aspire to.

No comments: