Thursday, March 26, 2009

Judge or Attorney?

For some time now, I have talked to our Crown groups about how the Bible is to be used. For me, the easiest thing to do is apply what I read to others. When I read, someone comes to mind for every verse. Except of course, me.

Amazingly, I have to consciously apply God's word to me. It doesn't automatically occur. I believe I have stumbled upon the problem.

In James 4:11-12, he is speaking about judging your brothers and sisters. Of course, he is talking about our spiritual brothers and sisters. He says if we speak against them and judge them we are speaking against and judging the law. That's interesting. Never thought of that.

He goes on to say, "When you judge the law, you are not keeping it but, sitting in judgement on it."

So, if I speak against and judge my brothers and sisters I am speaking against and judging the law and therefor I am not keeping the law but sitting in judgement on it. WOW!

When you sit back and contemplate this thought it makes perfect sense. I wonder if I took this time with other verses if I would learn something? Anyway, when I am judging others I am not loving them! (see Matt 19:19 & John 13:34) And isn't love the fulfillment of the law?

I don't want to insult your intelligence by going on and on. This seems pretty straight forward to me. So, the bottom line, as I see it, is this; Am I spending more time worrying about what others are doing or saying than I am loving them regardless of what they are doing or saying?

God is the ONLY judge. I want to leave that to Him.

Jesus is our Advocate, in a sense our attorney. He speaks on our behalf to the Father (The Judge). He does this because HE LOVES US.

I am to be like Jesus,
I want to be like Jesus,
LOVE NOT JUDGE!

No comments: