Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Battle

I read James 4 this morning. I think I am going to abandon this book. Everytime I read it I get kicked in the head. Now that I think about it, that would probably happen with any reading from the Bible.

Anyway, James asks an interesting question in verse 1. He asks, "What causes fights and quarrels among you?" If you are like me you probably thought something along the lines of, "I am dealing with nutbags." or "This person was mean to me." or whatever else.

But James tells us something totally different than what we think. He says, "Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?" When I step out of myself, and for those that know me you know that is a big step, I can see this. When I don't get what I want or desire I get a bit ornery (sorry that took so long I had to figure out how to spell ORNERY). Isn't that true for you as well. I think if we are honest we struggle with this.

So what? There are two things to say about this and trust me I am saying this for me, you get to just read and pray for my struggles if they don't apply to y0u.

1) We are supposed to love one another. Fighting and quarreling with each other does not leave room for love. I must love others more than I want or desire anything. That is huge for me. I am not much of a people person to begin with. I really have to focus and allow God to love people through me.

2) If I have a desire I need to ask God. verse 2 says "you do not have because you do not ask." That sounds really good until you read verse 3. James says, "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." NOTE: It is incredible to me that a book that was written and put together so long ago can look into my life and point out, in perfect clarity, where I come short. OK, so if I have a desire I need to ask for it. Easy enough. However, if that desire is for the wrong reasons, (ie. for me and my enjoyment), it will not be given.

To sum this up, I would say this. Inside of me, and if you read these passages it will talk to you, a battle is raging. The spirit within me wants to glorify God, but the self within me wants to glorify me. The question of who gets the glory is a matter of submission.

I must submit the wants and desires I have for my life to God's wants and desires for my life. If I do this I will receive what He knows is good for me and I will not battle my brothers and sisters.

Will you join me?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jamie, my pastor says there are two dogs fighting inside of every man. The one that wins is the one you feed the most. It looks like you are feeding the right one.

God bless,

Terry

Also, thank you for taking me to church.