Monday, March 3, 2008

How do I pray?

Kelley and I began a Bible study last night on Philippians. The study is really about having Joy under pressure. If you are like me a lot of things come to mind when you think of Joy under pressure, but my thoughts don't automatically turn to prayer.

The first 11 verses of Philippians chapter 1 are really Paul letting the church of Philippi know how he feels about them. Lesson 1 for me it is probably a good thing to let people know how much they mean to you.

He goes on to say that "I thank God every time I remember you, in all my prayers for all of you I always pray with joy..." Lesson 2 for me I need to pray for people other than when they are in a struggle of some kind.

Finally he says "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight..." Lesson 3 for me I need to pray that people we grow deeper in love with God.

Why do you think God created prayer? I mean usually we are praying to ask for help. Is that really why he created prayer? He already knows what we need. Anyone who saw Bruce Almighty knows that God knows everything. Is it possible that He wants us to talk to Him? Is it possible He wants us to recognize we need Him? Prayer is not a way for us to get our wants and needs fulfilled. It is a way for us to speak to our Father and seek His will for our lives in EVERY area. It is a way for us to intercede for our friends and family. If it is good enough for Paul I think it will do for us.

I ask you to pray that my love will abound more and more when you remember me. I need that for myself. I commit to pray that for you as I remember you.

If you don't remember me I am 6'3" 210lbs dark flowing hair, chiseled chin, rock hard abs, you get the picture.

Thanks for praying.

No comments: