Monday, March 10, 2008

Global Warming?

I believe I have stated in some of my past comments that I am not the smartest person on earth. If you have read many of these posts you, no doubt, agree with that. Today I may take many steps toward proving I am not very smart but I am wondering something. Here goes.

As you are aware, there are many people, (our government, Queen of England, even the Vatican) that are very concerned with this whole Global Warming deal. I suppose those people get paid to worry with things. I don't agree with a whole lot of what they worry with, but who am I. An interesting side note is that I don't know who I agree with most.

Anyway, I really don't know if we can intelligently speak about this global warming thing. Humans have been around for a while and we do have written record for a lot of time but our scales for measuring temperature are less than 300 years old. That's right, Fahrenheit (1724) and Celsius (1742) are relatively young. Now, I found a site with temperatures dating to 1659 (which is interesting considering the info above). If we believe the info on that site our AVG annual temp has increased about 2 degrees since 1659. It has risen less than 1 degree since 1975.

With that said, scientist have told us there was an ice age at some point before humans were here. If I believe that and I guess I should since I saw the movie, then the temperature must have risen since then to get rid of all that ice.

I guess my problem is why should we just assume that what we are doing is causing what we are experiencing. I don't mean to suggest we should continue doing things that we know are harmful for anyone but I think we spend way too much time worrying about the status of Global Warming and not near enough time worrying about the status of humans and their souls.
I believe it is fairly egotistical of us to believe we have enough control over anything to destroy the human race. I believe we should take care of this earth that God has given us to enjoy. I believe we have a responsibility to live a life worthy of Him. But, I also believe it is very selfish that we would spend more money trying to prolong our future (which we can not control anyway) than we do on helping God's people (4.1billi0n in 2000 for Global Warming vs 233 million for public welfare expenditures). The spending difference is more than 17 to 1 for Global Warming projects. Good Lord!

I would argue that we are WASTING money on Global Warming. If you believe the Bible, God has a plan for earth's end. I don't think we are going to have an affect on that other than trying to get as many people on His side as we possibly can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Right on Jamie! Well said, and I agree wholeheartedly. It's such a buzzword with the media and the left, I doubt the situation will change soon. Pray for us Lord.
Ray