Monday, December 10, 2007

Train up a child....

We would be hard pressed (whatever that means) to find someone who has not heard the old adage "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it". Did you know that is actually a verse from the Bible? (Proverbs 22:6) I find it interesting that the verse immediately following Proverbs 22:6 (Proverbs 22:7 if you are a little slow) says, "Just as the rich rule the poor the borrower is servant to the lender." I wonder if God is trying to tell us something here?

Anyway, I found an article, that is referenced below for your reading pleasure, that bares out what I believe to be true based on these two verses. The article talks about teaching your kids to give as an antidote to materialism. I couldn't agree more!!!

I believe that giving, in whatever form, reminds us that what we have been blessed with really is not ours. It also allows us to see how blessed we truly are when we reach out to those less fortunate. The difficult part, in today's economical environment, is to recognize that some people who have "nice" things are needy right now. I mean they may have a $300k home and two nice cars that were purchased when the housing market was going well, but today those are a burden that has to be dealt with.

I hope you will join me and my family in reaching out to someone in your community that is in need. ALLOW YOUR KIDS TO SEE GENEROSITY IN ACTION!!



http://finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance/article/103960/Teach-Your-Little-Ones-to-Love-Giving-Really

No comments: